विस्तार संज्ञा पुं॰ [सं॰] 1. Noun
१. लंबे या चौड़े होने का भाव । फैले होने का भाव । फैलाव । जैसे—(क) इस मकान का विस्तार कम है । (ख) तुम बातों का बहुत अधिक विस्तार करते हो ।
२. पेड़ की शाखा ।
३. गुच्छा ।
४. शिव का एक नाम ।
५. विष्णु का एक नाम ।
६. विवरण । पूरा ब्यौरा (को॰) ।
७. वृत्त का व्यास (को॰) ।
८. झाड़ी (को॰) ।
- A spot or small marked space; as, the germinative area.
- An extent of surface; a tract of the earth's surface; a region; as, vast uncultivated areas.
- Any plane surface, as of the floor of a room or church, or of the ground within an inclosure; an open space in a building.
- Extent; scope; range; as, a wide area of thought.
- The inclosed space on which a building stands.
- The sunken space or court, giving ingress and affording light to the basement of a building.
- The superficial contents of any figure; the surface included within any given lines; superficial extent; as, the area of a square or a triangle.
- Distance from side to side of any surface or thing; measure across, or at right angles to the length; width.
- That act or state of continuing; the state of being continued; uninterrupted extension or succession; prolongation; propagation.
- That which extends, increases, supplements, or carries on; as, the continuation of a story.
- A minute portion; one of the small parts; a particular; an item; -- used chiefly in the plural; as, the details of a scheme or transaction.
- A narrative which relates minute points; an account which dwells on particulars.
- The selection for a particular service of a person or a body of men; hence, the person or the body of men so selected.
- To relate in particulars; to particularize; to report minutely and distinctly; to enumerate; to specify; as, he detailed all the facts in due order.
- To tell off or appoint for a particular service, as an officer, a troop, or a squadron.
- The act of developing or disclosing that which is unknown; a gradual unfolding process by which anything is developed, as a plan or method, or an image upon a photographic plate; gradual advancement or growth through a series of progressive changes; also, the result of developing, or a developed state.
- The act or process of changing or expanding an expression into another of equivalent value or meaning.
- The elaboration of a theme or subject; the unfolding of a musical idea; the evolution of a whole piece or movement from a leading theme or motive.
- The equivalent expression into which another has been developed.
- The series of changes which animal and vegetable organisms undergo in their passage from the embryonic state to maturity, from a lower to a higher state of organization.
- The act or process of producing or refining with labor; improvement by successive operations; refinement.
- The natural process of formation or assimilation, performed by the living organs in animals and vegetables, by which a crude substance is changed into something of a higher order; as, the elaboration of food into chyme; the elaboration of chyle, or sap, or tissues.
- The act of increasing, or state of being increased; augmentation; aggravation; as, the enhancement of value, price, enjoyments, crime.
- A representation of things beyond natural life, in expression, beauty, power, vigor.
- The act of exaggerating; the act of doing or representing in an excessive manner; a going beyond the bounds of truth reason, or justice; a hyperbolical representation; hyperbole; overstatement.
- The act of heaping or piling up.
- Enlargement or extension of business transactions; esp., increase of the circulation of bank notes.
- Space through which anything is expanded; also, pure space.
- That which is expanded; expanse; extend surface; as, the expansion of a sheet or of a lake; the expansion was formed of metal.
- The act of expanding or spreading out; the condition of being expanded; dilation; enlargement.
- The developed result of an indicated operation; as, the expansion of (a + b)2 is a2 + 2ab + b2.
- The enlargement of the ship mathematically from a model or drawing to the full or building size, in the process of construction.
- The operation of steam in a cylinder after its communication with the boiler has been cut off, by which it continues to exert pressure upon the moving piston.
- A written engagement on the part of a creditor, allowing a debtor further time to pay a debt.
- Capacity of a concept or general term to include a greater or smaller number of objects; -- correlative of intension.
- That property of a body by which it occupies a portion of space.
- The act of extending or the state of being extended; a stretching out; enlargement in breadth or continuation of length; increase; augmentation; expansion.
- The operation of stretching a broken bone so as to bring the fragments into the same straight line.
- The straightening of a limb, in distinction from flexion.
- of Expand
- That expands, or may be expanded; extending; spreading; enlarging.