छल्ला संज्ञा पुं॰ [सं॰ छल्ली( = लता)] 1. Noun
१. वह सादी अँगूठी जो धातु के तार के टुकड़े को मोड़कर बनाई जाती है और हाथ पैर की उँगलियों में पहनी जाती है । मुंदरी । उ॰—अँगूठी लाल की करती कयामत आज गर होती । जिन्हें की आन पहुँची लड़ मुए वह एक छल्ली पर ।—कबिता कौ॰, भा॰ ४, पृ॰ २६ ।
२. अँगूठी की तरह की कोई मंडलाकर वस्तु । कड़ा । कुंडली ।
३. नैचे की बंदिश में वे गोल चिह्न जो रेशम या तार लपेटकर बनाए जाते हैं ।
४. वह पक्की पतली दीवार जो ऊपर से दिखाने या रक्षा के लिये कच्ची दीवार से लगाकर बनाई गई हो ।
५. तेल की बूँदे जो नीबू आदि की अर्क की बोतल मे ऊपर से इसलिये डाल दी जाती है जिससे अर्क बिगड़ने न पावे ।
६. एक प्रकार का पंजाबी गीत या तुकबंदी जिसे गा गाकर हिजड़े भीख माँगते हैं ।
- A lining for a hole to make it smaller; a thimble or ring of metal or wood inserted in a plate or other part of machinery to receive the wear of a pivot or arbor.
- A piece of copper, screwed into a gun, through which the venthole is bored.
- A shrub cut off, or a shrublike branch of a tree; as, bushes to support pea vines.
- A shrub or branch, properly, a branch of ivy (as sacred to Bacchus), hung out at vintners' doors, or as a tavern sign; hence, a tavern sign, and symbolically, the tavern itself.
- A shrub; esp., a shrub with branches rising from or near the root; a thick shrub or a cluster of shrubs.
- A thicket, or place abounding in trees or shrubs; a wild forest.
- The tail, or brush, of a fox.
- To branch thickly in the manner of a bush.
- To furnish with a bush, or lining; as, to bush a pivot hole.
- To set bushes for; to support with bushes; as, to bush peas.
- A series of links or rings, usually of metal, connected, or fitted into one another, used for various purposes, as of support, of restraint, of ornament, of the exertion and transmission of mechanical power, etc.
- A series of things linked together; or a series of things connected and following each other in succession; as, a chain of mountains; a chain of events or ideas.
- An instrument which consists of links and is used in measuring land.
- Iron links bolted to the side of a vessel to bold the dead-eyes connected with the shrouds; also, the channels.
- That which confines, fetters, or secures, as a chain; a bond; as, the chains of habit.
- The warp threads of a web.
- To fasten, bind, or connect with a chain; to fasten or bind securely, as with a chain; as, to chain a bulldog.
- To keep in slavery; to enslave.
- To measure with the chain.
- To protect by drawing a chain across, as a harbor.
- A disease in potatoes, in which the leaves, at their first appearance, seem curled and shrunken.
- A ringlet, especially of hair; anything of a spiral or winding form.
- An undulating or waving line or streak in any substance, as wood, glass, etc.; flexure; sinuosity.
- To contract or bend into curls or ringlets, as hair; to grow in curls or spirals, as a vine; to be crinkled or contorted; to have a curly appearance; as, leaves lie curled on the ground.
- To deck with, or as with, curls; to ornament.
- To move in curves, spirals, or undulations; to contract in curving outlines; to bend in a curved form; to make a curl or curls.
- To play at the game called curling.
- To raise in waves or undulations; to ripple.
- To shape (the brim) into a curve.
- To twist or form into ringlets; to crisp, as the hair.
- A circle, or combination of circles, of thin whalebone, metal, or other elastic material, used for expanding the skirts of ladies' dresses; crinoline; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- A pliant strip of wood or metal bent in a circular form, and united at the ends, for holding together the staves of casks, tubs, etc.
- A quart pot; -- so called because originally bound with hoops, like a barrel. Also, a portion of the contents measured by the distance between the hoops.
- A ring; a circular band; anything resembling a hoop, as the cylinder (cheese hoop) in which the curd is pressed in making cheese.
- A shout; a whoop, as in whooping cough.
- An old measure of capacity, variously estimated at from one to four pecks.
- The hoopoe. See Hoopoe.
- To bind or fasten with hoops; as, to hoop a barrel or puncheon.
- To call by a shout or peculiar cry.
- To clasp; to encircle; to surround.