ऐंठना ^१ क्रि॰ स॰ [सं॰ आवेष्ठन, पा॰ आवेट्ठन या हिं॰ ऐंठ+ ना (प्रत्य॰)] 1. TransitiveVerb
१. घुमाव देना । बटना । बल देना । मरोड़ना । घुमाव के साथ तानना या कसना । संयो क्रि॰—डालना ।—देना । यौ॰—ऐंठी की बेल=पत्थर के खंभे पर बनी हुई वह बेल जो उसके चारों ओर लिपटी हो ।
२. दबाब डालकर वसुल करना । संयो॰ क्रि॰—लेना ।
३. धोखा देकर लेना । झँसना । उ॰—हम खुशामदी नहीं हैं कि किसी की झूठी प्रशंसा करके कुछ ऐंठा चाहें ।—प्रताप॰ ग्रं॰, पृ॰ ७१५ । संयो॰ क्रि॰—रखना ।—लेना ।
- To twist, or twist together; to turn awry; to bend; to distort; to wrest.
- To draw money from (one); to induce to pay; as, they bled him freely for this fund.
- To emit blood; to lose blood; to run with blood, by whatever means; as, the arm bleeds; the wound bled freely; to bleed at the nose.
- To issue forth, or drop, as blood from an incision.
- To let blood from; to take or draw blood from, as by opening a vein.
- To lose or shed one's blood, as in case of a violent death or severe wounds; to die by violence.
- To lose sap, gum, or juice; as, a tree or a vine bleeds when tapped or wounded.
- To lose, as blood; to emit or let drop, as sap.
- To pay or lose money; to have money drawn or extorted; as, to bleed freely for a cause.
- To withdraw blood from the body; to let blood; as, Dr. A. bleeds in fevers.
- To get by the offense of extortion. See Extortion, 2.
- To practice extortion.
- To wrest from an unwilling person by physical force, menace, duress, torture, or any undue or illegal exercise of power or ingenuity; to wrench away (from); to tear away; to wring (from); to exact; as, to extort contributions from the vanquished; to extort confessions of guilt; to extort a promise; to extort payment of a debt.
- A bookbinder's tool for blind tooling or gilding, having a face which forms a curve.
- A chisel, with a hollow or semicylindrical blade, for scooping or cutting holes, channels, or grooves, in wood, stone, etc.; a similar instrument, with curved edge, for turning wood.
- An incising tool which cuts forms or blanks for gloves, envelopes, etc. from leather, paper, etc.
- Imposition; cheat; fraud; also, an impostor; a cheat; a trickish person.
- Soft material lying between the wall of a vein aud the solid vein.
- The act of scooping out with a gouge, or as with a gouge; a groove or cavity scooped out, as with a gouge.