असफल वि॰ [सं॰] 1. Adjective
१. जो सफल न हो । नाकामयाब । उ॰— आह स्वर्ग के अग्रदूत तुम असफल हुए विलीन हुए ।—कामा- यनी, पृ॰ ७ ।
२. व्यर्थ । निष्फल । उ॰—तिरस्कृत कर उसको तुम भूल, बनाते हो असफल भवधाम ।—कामायनी, पृ॰ ५३ ।
- A fruitless effort or issue.
- A medicine to which is attributed the property of causing abortion.
- Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines.
- Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an abortive attempt.
- Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
- Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an abortive organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
- Made from the skin of a still-born animal; as, abortive vellum.
- Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as, an abortive child.
- Rendering fruitless or ineffectual.
- That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion.
- A blindage. See Blindage.
- A halting place.
- Abortive; failing to produce flowers or fruit; as, blind buds; blind flowers.
- Alt. of Blinde
- Destitute of the sense of seeing, either by natural defect or by deprivation; without sight.
- Having no openings for light or passage; as, a blind wall; open only at one end; as, a blind alley; a blind gut.
- Having such a state or condition as a thing would have to a person who is blind; not well marked or easily discernible; hidden; unseen; concealed; as, a blind path; a blind ditch.
- Involved; intricate; not easily followed or traced.
- Not having the faculty of discernment; destitute of intellectual light; unable or unwilling to understand or judge; as, authors are blind to their own defects.
- Something to hinder sight or keep out light; a screen; a cover; esp. a hinged screen or shutter for a window; a blinder for a horse.
- Act of flopping.
- To clap or strike, as a bird its wings, a fish its tail, etc.; to flap.
- To fall, sink, or throw one's self, heavily, clumsily, and unexpectedly on the ground.
- To strike about with something broad abd flat, as a fish with its tail, or a bird with its wings; to rise and fall; as, the brim of a hat flops.
- To turn suddenly, as something broad and flat.
- Death; decease.
- Miscarriage; failure; deficiency; fault; -- mostly superseded by failure or failing, except in the phrase without fail.
- To be affected with want; to come short; to lack; to be deficient or unprovided; -- used with of.
- To be found wanting with respect to an action or a duty to be performed, a result to be secured, etc.; to miss; not to fulfill expectation.
- To be wanting to ; to be insufficient for; to disappoint; to desert.
- To be wanting; to fall short; to be or become deficient in any measure or degree up to total absence; to cease to be furnished in the usual or expected manner, or to be altogether cut off from supply; to be lacking; as, streams fail; crops fail.
- To become unable to meet one's engagements; especially, to be unable to pay one's debts or discharge one's business obligation; to become bankrupt or insolvent.
- To come short of a result or object aimed at or desired ; to be baffled or frusrated.
- To deteriorate in respect to vigor, activity, resources, etc.; to become weaker; as, a sick man fails.
- To err in judgment; to be mistaken.